What is a Dental Implant?
A Dental implant is a highly successful method of replacing one or more teeth in a secure and long-term way. Your implant will consist of a titanium ‘screw’ which is implanted directly into the jawbone. Once established, your restoration (crown, bridge etc) will be attached to the implant.
The implant is made from a biocompatible titanium which is inert yet strong and hard-wearing. Your final restoration can be made from a variety of materials but porcelain is normally selected in order to provide a natural looking finish.
Are dental implants suitable for me?
A number of factors will be taken into consideration when deciding if dental implants are suitable for you:
- The amount of the bone in your gum and whether it is healthy enough to support implants (bone can be lost due to long-term tooth loss or previous gum disease).
- The health of your remaining teeth and the presence of any gum disease. Your standard of oral care is also very important.
- Your general overall health. It is important that you are fit and healthy in order to give you the best chance of healing well. Smokers can have a lower success rate following the fitting of implants and therefore may not be considered suitable for surgery.
On the whole, dental implants are appropriate for a wide range of people and can be fitted at any age. They can be used to replace one, several and even all of your teeth.
Many people find dental implants a highly suitable option – offering them long-lasting replacements which are natural looking whilst feeling as strong and secure as their own teeth.
Are dental implants successful?
Dental implants are generally successful with studies reporting a 95% success rate in healthy mouths.
Improve your chances of ensuring a successful surgery by maintaining high standards of oral health and giving up smoking. Smokers are not usually considered suitable for surgery.
Why replace a missing tooth?
It is often wise to replace a missing tooth for a number of reasons:
- Your jawbone is naturally strengthened by your teeth when you chew and in those places where teeth are missing the jaw lacks stimulation and can start to shrink. Over time this can cause sagging, particularly if you have a number of teeth missing, and your facial muscles can start to weaken and make you look aged.
- Your teeth sit alongside each other ensuring that each tooth stays in its correct place. Gaps can encourage other teeth to move or twist. Gaps can also trap food potentially causing gum disease and tooth decay.
- Self-confidence can be a problem for many who have missing teeth. Dental implants can greatly help to improve self-esteem with regard to your personal appearance.
If, like a number of people, you have a missing tooth or loose, ill-fitting dentures then dental implants could be the appropriate solution for you. Contact us today to see how we could help.
Why Choose Us?
We are a long-established, highly experienced team providing high quality dentistry to the people of East Sussex and Kent. Below are just some of the reasons why patients choose, trust and stay with Lantern Dental:
Advanced Treatment Options
We use the latest treatment techniques, procedures and dental materials to offer a wide range of options to suit your needs. Our Dentists have both undergone considerable postgraduate training and provide the highest levels of clinical care.
Late Night Appointments and Saturdays
For patients with busy schedules, we offer evening and Saturday appointments (Saturday By Appointment), providing a convenient solution for your diary difficulties.
Fantastic Customer Service
At Lantern Dental we pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service. We strive to look after you through every stage of your dental journey.
Our newly refurbished practice has been designed with patient comfort in mind. Patients can also access the internet free of charge whilst they wait.
A Fantastic Team
We pride ourselves on having a friendly, helpful and dedicated support team who are all trained to the highest possible standard.
If you have any questions about our Implant services click here to get in touch.